Everything You Need To Know About Drone Range Extender
Learn all about the best ways to extend the WiFi signal of your remote
Today we will go through everything you need to know about long-range signal extenders. Why do we need them, when do we need them, and how do they work.
So let’s start.
Every drone pilot has one nightmare. To lose his/hers drone.
This happens because of 2 main reasons.
Drone is too far or too high, and you lose the signal, and it drifts away and you never find it,and oh my God so much pain in this one sentence.
Second one is battery life… It’s short 20 minutes approximately. Your drone can lose it’s power on the way back just above the river or sea…
Second problem can be fixed by having a couple of extra batteries, so you don’t have to squeeze out every bit of energy, and you can take your time. First problem… Well here we are… Signal range extenders.
They benefit you in many ways.
1. Signal is 75% better. (+-25%)
2. There is much less interference in noisy areas, like cities and areas that are swarming with WiFi signals from all sides…
3. When you have better signal, you can control your drone better, and have a safer flight.
We have chosen some extenders which will hopefully help you in getting those perfect shots you couldn’t reach before.
OK, so… All extenders can basically be sorted in 2 main categories:
1. Parabolic Reflectors – which are kind of passive add-ons. They only direct signals from the remote towards your drone. They are a cheaper solution and really easy to put on. And they don’t need any preparation.
2. Direct Controller Signal Booster Upgrade – some of them guarantee more than 20x signal range than the stock range. Basically the only limitation to your distance is your battery life… These, however, come with a not so modest price.
Are you a proud Phantom 3 S/A/P drone pilot? Or maybe you have a 3DR Solo?
Here are best range extenders we picked for you.
They require installation, so be careful and read the manual completely and carefully.
And remember! Don’t go too far, or you won’t have enough battery to come back!
BlueProton Range Extender Kit* for DJI Phantom 3 Standard
ITELITE ITE-DBS02.2 Kit* for DJI Phantom 3 Advanced & Professional, Inspire 1& Phantom 4
ULTIMATE Range Booster Kit* for 3DR Solo
Now, as said before, parabolic extenders work in a simple way. They direct the signal beams towards your drone (you must point the controller in that direction), and the drone gets a better signal.
They improve both the transmitter signal, and they boost video transmission (FPV) signal. You get double the performance with these on.
They are really easy to mount and remove, so they won’t cause any problems when traveling.
Below you can see our top picks for Phantom drones,Autel X-Star, as well as the Inspire 1, and of course the Mavic Pro.
Parabolic Signal Extender* for DJI Mavic Pro
Parabolic Antenna Range Booster* for DJI Phantom 3 Standard
Parabolic Antenna Range Booster* for all Phantom 3, Phantom 4 / Pro, Inspire 1
SKYREAT Windsurfer Range Extender for Autel X-Star / Premium
Drone World has made some serious progress towards controller and drone upgrades…
You can get their controller when you buy the whole package which includes the Falcon edition Phantom 4, or you can send them your own controller for a tuning.
They will ship it back to you within the 1st week of receiving.
What they add to a controller is basically this:
1. FireBridge technology which will provide great signal in all conditions.
2. Fully internalized custom WiFi boosters
3. Custom cooling system so you never have heating problems.
4. Military grade wiring
5. Simplified charging and dual Helicoil antennas
All of the above will give you 20x more controller performance than the stock version.
And with a cool looking skin, your controller will be somewhat unique in all aspects.
Have you heard about the Phantom 4 Falcon Edition?
ND Filters – Why they are necessary for your drone.
DJI GO 4: New Smartphone App For DJI Phantom 4 Pro, Inspire 2 and Mavic.